Common Core Math Vs. Saxon Math for grades one, two, and three

image

UPDATE:

UPDATE: Later that day…

Some broad on Facebook took issue with my blurry pictures and choice of comparison photos from Common Core Curriculums.

She said:

“One problem (aside from blurry pictures) is that you posted “Saxon Math Level One Math Facts Practices” in comparison to an entirely different lesson, aka apples/oranges. If you looked at the curriculum, you’d have seen the two worksheets before the one you highlight looks pretty much identical to the Saxon worksheet.”

So for her and anyone else who may need the photos focused and highlighted more effectively, I just took some of my precious time to retake those same four math pages with a better camera and share them here in the spirit of “trying to find the facts”. Since everyone loves a good game, here are the six photos next to each other. You all get a star sticker on your chart if you choose correctly…
image

image

image

Editorial Note.
  I am just a Mom Blogger, busy with homeschool and life as the Mother to five kids.  Why is it that I, with my extremely low traffic blog (I rarely get more than a hundred unique visitors a day) am always in the top ten on Google when I search “Common Core Math” in the search engines?  I am not a Mathematician, not a brainiac by any stretch of the imagination, I don’t even have a degree.

But I care about our society and our children’s future and so I write about Math, and when I see nonsense, I call it what it is.  Why are so few Mom Bloggers willing to step up and take on this fight?  Is sharing photos of your cooking and home decorating really more important than education???

I don’t get it.

I understand that some people are concerned about marginalizing their friends and family who work in the education sector, and I admit to having those concerns as well.  But those people have all been threatened with a loss of their jobs if they speak out, so effectively muzzled it’s like we are living in a freaking police state.

Please, Mom Bloggers, start taking pictures of your kids homework, even if you only have a fuzzy camera phone, and upload it to Twitter and Facebook, write a couple blog posts… go ahead and offend someone, I don’t care if the local principal is your Bishop or your brother or your best friend. Go ahead and help stop this thing!  If we don’t, who will?

Here are my defuzzied Photos in several different layouts for the visually challenged. (Just click to enbiggen)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

ORIGINAL POST

The Daily Caller and Twitchy have been doing the most effective job collecting the many examples of Common Core math nonsense that parents have been uploading to Twitter and other social media sites. I went out last night looking for the latest examples because a few writers have been attempting to defend the various new algorithms that are being taught to elementary aged school children.

Here are a few examples I found on the web:

Now lets compare it to Saxon Math One, which is often the book used in Kindergarten and/or Preschool:
image

The expectations are clear and the child and parent have no trouble figuring out what the goal is for the lesson of the day.

A huge part of Saxon Math, especially at the elementary level, is daily Math Facts Practice tests. These timed tests are the best way to teach children automatic recall. Here is a test Ben took in his Saxon One book in 2011.

image

This Mom posted a lesson page on Twitter:

And this Mom posted her childs homework, no expectations, no clear explanations, just nonsense.

Compare that Math Lesson to this example from Bens Saxon Math Book:

image

Here is one more example from a father in New York:

Here is the page from Instagram:
Common Core Math Lesson

Now compare that insanity with a lesson from Bens third grade Saxon Book:

image

One of my great hopes as we go forward as a nation is that thinking adults will call bullshit when they see it.

Educrats wrap themselves in highfalutin gobblydegook that is intimidating to parents.

Please be willing to wrap your mind around the idea that if YOU cannot understand what is being taught, there is NO WAY your six year old is going to understand it.

Jenny Hatch

To read more about how you as a parent can stand up to this nonsense, read this excellent article!

Comments
6 Responses to “Common Core Math Vs. Saxon Math for grades one, two, and three”
  1. Jenny Hatch says:

Wow Olivia,

That is a good question.

My son started attending public school in the 7th grade after using Saxon all the way up and in just a few months he was questioning his ability at math.

So I feel your pain.

We decided to let him continue attending 8th grade and he is now doing 9th grade Common Core.

The only solution I could think of to help him long term was to incentivize him learning Saxon Algebra on his own.

He is 14, so we told him that if he completed the Saxon book by his 16th birthday that we would buy him a car.

He started out great this past summer doing a math lesson every day.

By mid summer he gave up and said he would finish the book next summer before his birthday in October.

We feel that the many advantages to being in school outweigh the math issue at this point and I personally am weary of the battle.

By handing his education to him to own, it took much of the weight off of my shoulders.

I do not know how old your son is, but for children under 12 who cannot yet think abstractly, Common Core is very confusing.

I know with Ben we gave it our best shot and everyone in our family helped teach him.

My oldest daughter and I were disgusted as we observed this fully predictable outcome of him questioning his math ability because he was not “good” at Common Core, when he had nearly perfect grades in Saxon for all those years he was at home.

Frustrating doesn’t even describe my emotions.

If he was not singing in an excellent mens choir at the school and playing soccer, I would have encouraged him to come back home, but he is determined to finish high school.

I will say a special prayer for you to know what to do.

The main thing I can say is that I know exactly how you feel.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jenny Hatch

2. Olivia says:

I have my child transferred from private school to public school this school year. My child is typically good in Saxon math from previous school, but now keep telling me that he could not handle even the simple common core math questions. I am sure he could understand and answer those questions but just that the different way to present the answer in common core upset him. He love Saxon math because of the simpler way to present the answer and easier to understand. But since the current school now in common core standard should I look for common core workbook to help him?

Liked by 1 person

3. Jennifer says:

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I’ll have to look into it. Have a great day….

– Jennifer

4. Jenny Hatch says:

There is a Saxon version aligned to CC. It would probably be the best choice. I like using the 2nd and 3rd edition Saxon books, written exactly the way John Saxon wanted. I have not purchased the common core versions, so I do not know how they compare.

5. Jennifer says:

Hi Jenny,

So, can you tell me, is Saxon Math considered common core? If a school is looking for a new program, but it has to be common core, would this one be allowed? My son’s school is currently looking for parent input, as they are wanting to change their math program for next year. Their current program Houghton McMillan, is horrible. No explanation for parents to help their child, and children that are typically good at math are failing. My son is in 2nd grade. I’d love to hear your opinion. Thanks!!

– A Frustrated Mom

6. Wendi says:

Bwha ha ha! So happy to discover your site- these pics are priceless! I just asked my 7th grade son, who does online school here at school how to do the “array” sheet, and he looked at it for about 2 mins, then said, “I don’t understand what it’s asking?” Then I scrolled to the sheet above with the addition problems and asked what he needed to do there, and he said “Duh, add!” Then I pointed out that it was Saxon Math and the other was Common Core and he said, “How dumb” So from the mouth of babes…thanks for your site- I am one of the Mom’s posting on FB and trying to get the word out, but I feel like a “tin-hat wearing” Mom on a daily basis…Keep it up Miss Jenny!

Liked by 1 person

• Click to Drive for Uber in BoCo

• Follow Jenny Hatch on Social Media

• Home Making Video Tutorials by Jenny Hatch

• Instagram

My interview on the Freebirth Society Podcast is up on my blog.
Here I am at 41 weeks pregnant with Benjamin. His cousin Dylan was napping while I dozed and sipped raspberry leaf tea.
Cut and paste this link to listen to the podcast or buy one of my childbirth books: https://jennyhatch.com/2017/09/28/my-interview-with-emilee-saldaya-on-the-free-birth-society-podcast-jennyhatch/ These books were lovingly crafted for those couples searching for alternatives to hospital childbirth.
  • Click to listen to the Podcast!

%d bloggers like this: